SOUTH COAST OF ICELAND


Iceland is growing: lying as it does on the spreading boundary between the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates the geology of the island is unique. Huge lava fields are formed by the continued volcanic activity across its surface, while the south coast is defined by an ever-changing scene of lava and glacial action, and icebergs carved from the glaciers float serenely by. Meltwater drives rivers and waterfalls from the centre of the island towards the sea. Iceland generates 75% of its electricity from hydroelectric plants and the remaining 25% is produced by geothermal sources.