The New Lanark cotton mills were founded in 1786 by David Dale in a brief partnership with Richard Arkwright. The New Lanark mills depended upon water power. A dam was constructed on the Clyde above New Lanark and water was drawn off the river to power the mill machinery. New Lanark became celebrated throughout Europe, with many leading royals, statesmen and reformers visiting the mills. Owen was able to show visitors the village’s excellent housing and amenities, and the accounts showing the profitability of the mills.